A high amount of body fat can lead to weight-related diseases and other health issues that why you need to assess your weight and waist circumference regularly by monitoring what you eat and exercise.
- For adults, 2 hours and 30 minutes of physical activity is recommended every week (about 22 minutes each day or 50 minutes 3 times per week). This needs to include moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as brisk walking and muscle-strengthening exercise 2 or more days a week. The strengthening exercises should work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).
- Increase the intensity or the amount of time that you are physically active to improve health benefits and control body weight.
- Encourage children and teenagers to be physically active for at least 60 minutes each day, or almost every day.
- For more detail, see How much physical activity do you need?
Adult Body Mass Index or BMIBMI is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can indicate high body fatness, and a low BMI can indicate too low body fatness. To calculate your BMI, see the BMI Calculator. Or determine your BMI by finding your height and weight in this BMI Index Chartexternal icon1.
- If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the underweight range.
- If your BMI is 18.5 to 24.9, it falls within the normal or Healthy Weight range.
- If your BMI is 25.0 to 29.9, it falls within the overweight range.
- If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obese range.
- All-causes of death (mortality)
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (Dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Many types of cancerexternal icon
- Low quality of life
- Mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders4,5
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning6
Taking your medicine as prescribed or medication adherence is important for controlling chronic conditions, treating temporary conditions, and overall long-term health and well-being.
NUTRIENTS & FOOD
Any exercise program should include cardiovascular exercises like walking, interval training which strengthens the heart and burns calories. And walking is something you can do anywhere, anytime, with no equipment other than a good pair of shoes. It's not just for beginners, either: Even the very fit can get a good workout from walking.
Please don't forget to give us feedback from your Doctor or Health Practitioner to improve this website.
You are able to add your Doctor or Health Practitioner if you have one. Please you are welcomed to use this directory to find Doctor and Health Practitioner in your area. You can also go to the pharmacy, clinic or hospital near you to get any medical assistance.
IMPORTANT NOTICE BEFORE USING THIS SERVICE
CelesYard IS A WEB APPLICATION AND DOES NOT OFFER PERSONAL HEALTH OR MEDICAL ADVICE.
IF YOU’RE FACING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL YOUR DOCTOR, HEALTH PRACTIONER OR LOCAL EMERGENCY SERVICES IMMEDIATELY, OR YOU MAY ALSO VISIT THE NEAREST EMERGENCY ROOM OR URGENT CARE CENTER.
YOU SHOULD CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR HEALTH PRACTITIONER BEFORE STARTING ANY NUTRITION, DIET, EXERCISE, FITNESS, MEDICAL, OR WELLNESS PROGRAM.
This content, developed through collaboration with licensed medical professionals and external contributors, including text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this web application, website, newsletter, and products (“Content”), is general in nature and for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice; the Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.